The first official schoolhouse in Syracuse was constructed in 1885 and had its first class, Sunday School, taught that December. The first formal class began in January of 1886. The first teacher at this school was Thomas H. Phillips from Kaysville. He taught all 8 grades as all the classes were held in the same room. There was a stable in the back to hold the horses that some of the students rode to school. The one big problem for the school was truancy. The students often had to help with the harvest in the fall and the planting in the spring. Farming had to take precedence over education, so the children were lucky to get even 5 months of education a year!