How do I apply for restitution?

Restitution must be requested through the criminal case. If restitution is needed for an item that was stolen, the request must be submitted through the theft case filed against the defendant. 

Restitution can be requested through the prosecutor's victim advocate program. A Restitution Request Form can be provided by the victim advocate to be completed, signed and returned with copies of receipts or other documents that support the claim. 

Please contact Nicole Daugherty at 801-940-1607 as soon as possible if you are interested in applying for restitution. The court proceedings move quickly and restitution cannot be requested once a defendant has already been sentenced.

Show All Answers

1. What is restitution?
2. Who is considered a victim?
3. What is criminal activity?
4. What are pecuniary damages?
5. How do I apply for restitution?
6. How does the court decide what to order for restitution?
7. If restitution is ordered to me, how do I collect it?
8. Is there any other way to get restitution for my medical bills without having to wait for the defendant to pay restitution?